Fortibac: Opening the doors for next generation nutraceuticals with responsible approach to gut health management
Introduction : Poultry is been considered one of the fastest growing segments in animal husbandry and has taken a shape of well-organized industry over a period that accounts for about 80% of total poultry market. However, 20% unorganized segment plays crucial role in sustainable rural livelihood and suffice nutritional needs of needy. In organized segment, due to high pressure on performance, each moment of poultry life cycle has become important and is being dealt with a highest level of scientific approach. Huge number of efforts are made by consultants, feed formulators, feed millers and farmers to provide best possible nutrition to avoid any health hazards to poultry. In the same context, ration is designed with high nutritive value ingredients, growth promoters, performance enhancers, toxin binders, supplements, and additives.
In this process, usage of anti-microbial agents has been dominating in poultry feed formulation from decades not only to ensure prevention against various diseases conditions but also to obtain better growth and productivity. A wide and indiscriminate use of antibiotics at lower dosage as growth promoters has resulted in developing resistance in pathogens pertaining to poultry and human population. Many new diseases have emerged in last few years and immunity of birds has been challenged time to time. Limitation of antimicrobial usage is not only resistance development but also to deal with harmful effect while metabolising the drugs in the body.
Majority of issues which poultry producers facing constantly are related to gut health maintenance. Pathogenic problems like Necrotic enteritis, Salmonellosis, E. coli, Campylobacter etc. and non-pathogenic issues like non specific loose dropping, heat stress, disintegration of gut lining are most crucial. Banning AGPs in poultry exhibited higher feed intake, poorer feed efficiency, lower weight gain, higher mortality, raised risk of contamination and disease, inferior immune response. Hence, it is an elementary essential to have an alternate solution which can help poultry to overcome from above stated complications despite replacement of AGPs. To meet global demand of this context, to match customer preferences and to improve efficiency, many substitutes are evaluated Mono-easters, Probiotics and post biotics, Lysozymes, Lactoferrins, Avidins, Feed Acidifiers, Nucleotides, Bacteriophages, Ozone (O3), H2O2, Essential oils etc. These next generation nutraceuticals not only help in sustaining growth pattern and reducing dependability on toxicological chemical substances but they also do not allow resistant to develop against them. Hence, these natural solutions ensure safe and sustainable use.
Looking into history of Gut health management, gut acidifiers were launched in early 80s which further improved with coated form. Farmers started using coated salts of butyric acid. Different fatty acids have diverse roles in affecting the immune system and anti-bacterial activity, and no single dietary fatty acid is suitable for improving overall gut health. But even after using all these solutions and looking at market challenges, Poultry industry is experiencing a gap in performance. In the similar context, Fortibac is a next generation nutraceutical with responsible approach gut heath management.
Fortibac is optimal combination of monoglycerides of selected SCFA and MCFA for full spectrum balanced efficacy. The molecules of fatty acids are chemically bound to glycerol to form monoglyceride. It is a covalent bond and this bond does not dissociate in gut (outside bacterial cell) which makes Fortibac pH independent and its antibacterial effect is seen in entire GIT.
pKa value of fatty acids (ranging from C1 to C12) is between 3.75 to 5.30 which means all these fatty acids dissociate their 50% of molecules between 3.75 to 5.30 pH range.
Moreover, above pH 5.5 level dissociation of organic acids reduces to less than 10% level very low. While, Fortibac is pH independent and dissociates organic acids in the bacterial cytoplasm is observed 20 times higher than encapsulated acidifiers (like Ca butyrate) at pH 6.5.
Organic acids dissociation in relation to pH
AGP have non-specific approach against pathogens and probiotics but Fortibac has expressed its efficacy against pathogens and supporting functions on probiotic colonization. Hence, Fortibac is a revolutionary solution for increasing overall poultry performance.
Fortibac majorly has three types of functional efficacy.
- Microbiological effect:
- Fortibac reduces intracellular pH of bacterial cell which is 15-20 times more effective than organic acids
- Fortibac actions are pH independent hence ensures efficacy in intestine where pH is 6.5-7.0 which ensures better digestibility and absorption of nutrients. Organic acids are nearly ineffective at this stage or if they reduce intestinal pH, bird’s performance will be compromised
- Fortibac selectively damages bacterial cell wall by increasing its permeability and changing intracellular osmotic pressure, that is why it is better than antibiotics.
- Fortibac is highly effective against Clostridium, Campylobacter, Salmonella & E coli.
- Fortibac is also proven against subclinical and mild necrotic enteritis.
- Epithelial effect:
- Fortibac ensures intestinal wall integrity.
- Fortibac helps in improving digestion process.
- Fortibac supports better nutrient and ion absorption.
- Fortibac is also used as source of energy for epithelial cells.
- Fortibac helps to improve villi surface area for better probiotic colonization.
- Immunological effect:
- Fortibac improves first immunological barrier and repairs leaky gut situation by tight junction protein synthesis
- Fortibac has anti-inflammatory situation by inhibiting LPS production by bacteria and reduced production of inflammatory cytokines by macrophages
- Fortibac helps in releasing antimicrobial peptides by intestine (Paneth cells)
Active ingredients of Fortibac directly induce bacterial cell lysis in gut lumen (that means lower amount of released LPS by pathogens) and indirectly promote the Paneth cell to produce antimicrobial peptides. Fortibac also stimulates the gene expression for tight junction proteins production and increases intestinal wall integrity. Fortibac active substances prevent the excessive activation of macrophages and their production of proinflammatory cytokines resulting in immunomodulating effect.
Fortibac has been proven its effect in breeder, layers and broilers in different conditions. Fortibac can be considered one of the best solutions among alternative to antibiotic growth promoters.